Saturday 31 July 2010

A VIEW MORE DISTANT

Tom, I cannot say
I knew you well.

I saw you from a distance,
Heard your name,
Watched, as in a choir
That loved you well
You measured out your harmonies
From a more distant place:

I heard you too,
Hidden at your console,
Talking to us through
Your fingers and your toes,
But not your eyes, which resonated
With some distant, deeper place.

I knew you slightly, Tom,
As in your struggles with an
Ailing body that could no more
Contain you, your parents
In their anguish and their love
Called us to holy supplication.

There is no answer to a prayer
That seeks a simple resolution.
The music of this symphony
Is darker, more profound: it is
The energy of love in counterpoint.
Now yours to play, for

Tom, within the mystery of God
You are known well.



In memory of Tom Wickens,
Woodham Parish
May 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment